GLA:D Canada is an 8-week education and exercise program for those with stiff and/or painful knees and/or hips, or those with knee and/or hip osteoarthritis. Research from GLA:D in Denmark shows participants report less pain, reduced use of pain killers, fewer individuals on sick leave, and being more physically active.
2 education sessions will teach GLA:D Canada participants about:
- What is osteoarthritis, risk factors and symptoms
- Current available treatment for osteoarthritis
- How to self-manage your symptoms
- Why and how exercise can help with your osteoarthritis
- How to cope with the difficulties of daily activities associated with osteoarthritis
60 minute group exercise sessions twice a week for 6 weeks led by a certified therapist. You will:
- Learn how to control your movements and proper posture
- Build muscular strenght through functional exercises
- Learn how to apply these exercises to everyday activities
The program measures how you’re doing at your first, 3 and 12 months after you have started the program. This information will help us monitor how the program is working for people with osteoarthritis all over Canada and ultimately will help us improve the program.